Sick/Fit Note Certificates

Sick/Fit Note Certificates

Been ill for less than 7 days?

If you have been ill for 7 days or less you don’t need to see a Doctor. You can complete a Self-Certification form yourself. 

Many employers have their own self-certification forms. If your employer doesn’t have its own form you can complete and download a Self Certification Form using this link:>>  

Once you have completed the form, you do not need to see a Doctor.  You will need to download it and send it to your employer. If you are sending it in the post, you will need a printer.  If you do not have a printer, your local Library will be able to provide this service for a small fee.

We're aware that some employers may insist on a Doctor’s note. A Doctors note under these circumstances will involve a private services charge.


a man holding his left hand over his face with his glasses in his right hand

Been ill for more than 7 days?

If you have been ill for more than 7 days you will need a doctor’s certificate. These certificates are called ‘Fitness To Work’ Certificates. You can request a Doctor’s Sick/Fit note for more than 7 days by Requesting a Sick/Fit Note using our online eConsult Service>> 

Require an extention to a Sick Note?

If you have already had a Sick Note (Fit Note) for this illness your Doctor may not need to see you to issue an additional Sick Note. You can Request a Sick/Fit Note Extension using our online eConsult service>>  

We will contact you to let you know when you can collect your Sick/Fit Note or we may contact you to arrange an appointment.

Use eConsult to Request a Sick/Fit Note


We offer our online eConsult service to patients for administrative requests (such as a sick/fit note or a request to extend your sick note).